Financial support for carers

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is paid to people who look after someone with substantial caring needs. You do not have to be related to, or live with the person you care for and you may qualify if:

• you are aged 16 or over
• you spend at least 35 hours looking after someone who gets Attendance Allowance or the middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance. 

For more information see the Carer's Allowance page on the GOV.UK web site.

Carer's Allowance Unit
Phone 0800 731 0297

Carer's Credit

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record. Your State Pension is based on your National Insurance record. To qualify for Carer's Credit you must be looking after one or more people for a total of at least 20 hours per week.

Each person you care for must get one of the following:

• Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
• Attendance Allowance
• Constant Attendance Allowance
• Personal Independence Payment - daily living component, at the standard or enhanced rate
• Armed Forces Independence Payment

Council Tax help

There are a number of ways you may be able to get help with your council tax.

See further information about Council Tax / Rate relief from Carers UK.

Financial help for the person you are looking after

See also our Benefits page to make sure that the person you are caring for is receiving all the benefits and discounts that they are entitled to.

Information and advice

Carers UK and Turn2us offer help and advice on a range of financial issues affecting carers.

Useful links