Advice for carers families and friends



Please review and correct the information below.

CORONAVIRUS Please note that some organisations listed in this page may be operating changed services due to the current situation. Please contact the organisation directly or check their website for latest updates.

Advice for carers, families and friends

Making the right decision

Many people arrange their own care but often it is a family member or friend who asks the questions and becomes closely involved in helping someone move into residential care.

You may be trying to make arrangements from a distance, or you may be living with a person who has many care needs and it may be difficult for you to come to the decision that residential care is what your relative or friend needs.

Before making a final decision and looking for a care home, it’s a good idea to explore other options as there may be an alternative. See the information in our Managing at home information section. 

Financial implications

Residential care can often last a long time so it is important that your relative or friend (or their legal representative) considers the implications of any move, including its financial consequences, at the beginning so as to try to avoid a move at a later date.

See our information on paying for care in the Money matters information section.

Continuing to care

You will want to continue supporting your friend or relative when they are living in a care home.  Here are some things to think about:

  • Your relative or friend should get an annual review of the care they need, so ask to be present at discussions.
  • Join the Relatives and Residents Association group at the home.
  • If you want to do an activity with your friend or relative talk to the home about how best you can do this.
  • Keep an eye on the inspection reports.
  • Ask when the inspectors are making their next visit so that you can meet them and talk to them.

Support and advice

The Relatives and Residents Association can give you information and advice and may be able to put you in touch with local groups whose members have gone through the experience of helping someone move into residential care.
Advice line 020 7359 8136. (Weekdays 9.30am to 1.00pm and Thursdays 6.00pm to 8.00pm)                                              

See also our Carers information section.


Close window
Fill out my online form.


Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Advice for carers families and friends

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.