Please review and correct the information below.

Concessions, discounts and help

Concessionary travel in Hampshire

Older residents and those with a disability can take advantage of free travel on local buses throughout Hampshire and the rest of England. In some cases travel is within certain specified times. 

You will need to meet criteria on age or disability. You may also be entitled to a “companion pass” if your disabilities mean that you are unable to travel unaccompanied.

Find out more here or telephone 0300 555 1376 for information.

Train travel discounts

If you are aged 60 or over, you are eligible for a Senior Railcard which entitles you to a third off the price of most first class and standard rail fares. The card costs £30 and is valid for one year. You can buy a Senior Railcard online, at a staffed station ticket office or by calling 0345 3000 250. You will need a valid passport or UK driving licence in order to prove you are eligible.

A Disabled Person's Railcard costs £20 for one year. It entitles you to a third off the price of most first class and standard rail fares and if you are accompanied by another adult, they can also travel at the same discounted fare. Application forms are available online and from rail stations and main post offices. Alternatively, telephone the Disabled Person’s Railcard Helpline on 0345 605 0525 or Textphone 0345 601 0132.

Discount coach card

National Express offer a Senior coachcard for over 60’s and a Disabled coachcard for those who are registered disabled at a cost of £10 plus £2 p&p per year. The concessionary passes entitle the traveller to 1/3 off your travel on most National Express coach services.

Please give at least 24 hours notice if you travel with a guide dog.

Transport to hospital

If you cannot use public transport and need help getting to appointments at your surgery or at the hospital, speak to the surgery or hospital staff where the appointment is. You can also search for Hospital transport on Hampshire County Council’s community transport pages or phone 0300 555 1388 for details of local transport schemes.

Some local Good Neighbours schemes can provide volunteer drivers for essential journeys, such as doctor’s or hospital appointments.

Voluntary organisations

Most voluntary organisations that provide transport for individuals rely on volunteer drivers who are reimbursed a mileage rate when using their own car. Passengers will generally be asked to contribute towards the cost of this transport at around 50 pence per mile, although rates will vary between organisations.

Most Councils of Voluntary Service (CVS) run local transport schemes. These are primarily for groups wanting to hire a minibus but they may be able to help with individual transport requests.

Getting around London

If you are planning a trip to London, Transport for London has produced a series of Accessibility guides. The information includes an audio tube map, a step free underground guide and a printable travel support card among other things. For help in planning your bus or underground journey in London, use the online Journey planner or contact the 24-hour travel information centre on 0343 222 1234.

Last reviewed: 21/04/2016

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Concessions discounts and help

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.


Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither Hampshire County Council nor PCG Limited will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and of any inaccuracy or error within these pages. Read full disclaimer.

Connect to Support Hampshire allows you to search for products and services provided by suppliers so that you can find out what support is available. Please let us know if any information found on these pages is inaccurate by using the Feedback button.

Hampshire County Council is not accrediting or recommending any of the products, companies or organisations listed on this website.


Close window
Fill out my online form.


Add my service