Please review and correct the information below.

Driving and parking

Older drivers

Hampshire County Council’s Road Safety Team offers the Driver Skills Scheme 60+. This is an independent, confidential driving appraisal that helps older drivers to prolong their fitness to drive. The appraisal, which costs £35, is not a test but offers help and advice. You get a comprehensive written report together with helpful tips about driving techniques. The appraisal is done using your own car and takes approximately 90 minutes. Find out more here or call 01962 846100.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Older Drivers Forum is a not-for-profit organisation made up of experts in road safety from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight – from representatives from the emergency services to charities, local authorities and businesses specialising in keeping older people on the road. The Forum is about keeping mature motorists on the road safely for longer. They can provide practical and informative help and support to enable older people to continue driving. Find out more here or call 01962 846100.

Disabled drivers

Disabled drivers can get practical advice about driving, an assessment of their capabilities, and advice about car adaptations and/or choice of car from Driving Mobility. They offer professional, high quality information, advice and assessment to individuals who are recovering from an accident or injury or who have a medical condition which may affect their ability to drive or access a motor vehicle.
The Hampshire mobility centre is Wessex Driveability

Motability scheme

If you receive

it is possible to use it to buy or lease a car that has been specially adapted for your use through the Motability Scheme.
If you do not qualify for this scheme you can make your own arrangements to have a car adapted by contacting a local car dealer who does Motability work – search for a Motability accredited garages.

Blue badges

Parking permits for disabled people

Blue parking badges allow parking concessions for cars carrying people who have a permanent disability. They are also issued to those who are applying for a Blue Badge on behalf of a child under the age of three who, because of specific medical conditions, needs to travel with bulky medical equipment, needs to return to the vehicle for treatment or to reach a doctor or hospital quickly or is in a plaster cast due to hip dysplasia.

The Blue Badge scheme is run by the Department for Transport, but badges are issued by Hampshire County Council. The badge belongs to the disabled person who qualifies for it (who may or may not be a car driver) and can be used in any vehicle they are travelling in. Parents of a disabled child over two and under 16 can apply for a badge on their child's
Find out more or download an application form here or telephone 0300 555 1376.

Last reviewed: 21/04/2016

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Driving and parking

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.


Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither Hampshire County Council nor PCG Limited will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and of any inaccuracy or error within these pages. Read full disclaimer.

Connect to Support Hampshire allows you to search for products and services provided by suppliers so that you can find out what support is available. Please let us know if any information found on these pages is inaccurate by using the Feedback button.

Hampshire County Council is not accrediting or recommending any of the products, companies or organisations listed on this website.


Close window
Fill out my online form.


Add my service