Please review and correct the information below.

Mental Health

Mental health and recovery

No mental health need is the same from one person to another. We all have a range of mental health needs during our lifetimes, as children, adults and older adults. It can include the worries and grief that we all experience as part of everyday life. It can also include serious events or diagnosed mental health conditions for which we may need to seek specialist help. Some of us are able to cope with these worries, stresses and life events without formal help. Some people might need support from friends, family or colleagues whilst others may benefit from specialist mental health input. Mental health needs can affect anyone, of any age or background and at any time of our life. The NHS website has a self-assessment tool which you can use if you think you may be suffering from depression.

Carers who support people with mental health needs like family and friends might also need support from time to time.

Below is some advice on how you can help yourself and where you can go for support.

Helping yourself

There are things that you can do yourself, such as: 

  • taking exercise
  • developing and sustaining friendships
  • cutting down on coffee, tea, alcohol, nicotine and other addictive substances.
  • asking for help if you feel distressed or upset.

You could also:

People with mental health conditions can also register as disabled with Hampshire County Council.

People who are severely mentally impaired aren’t included when working out Council Tax. Find out how to apply for a council tax discount.

Support organisations


  • iTalk provides free treatment to people suffering from common mental health problems including depression, anxiety and stress.
  • The Mental Health Foundation - news, information on problems, treatments and strategies for living with mental distress.
  • MIND (National Association for Mental Health) - for information on all aspects of mental health problems.
  • SANE - information sheets and booklets
  • Bipolar UK - self-management courses and local support groups.
  • Rethink Mental Illness - expert advice and information to everyone affected by mental health problems.
  • Shaw Trust - training and work opportunities for people who are disadvantaged in the labour market due to disability or ill health.
  • Together – for Mental Wellbeing

Local to you:

Search the Community directory and filter by your area for mental health services accessible to residents in that area.

Wellbeing centres

Wellbeing is about:

  • feeling healthy and happy
  • having the inner resources to respond to difficult circumstances
  • being able to adapt and engage with other people and the world around us

The charities Mind and MCCH run wellbeing centres in Hampshire's towns and cities to provide short-term, outcome-focused support to individuals with mental health problems. They are friendly and welcoming places with an informal atmosphere.

The centres provide workshops, courses and other support on many mental health issues. These include

  • self-esteem and resilience
  • depression and anxiety
  • stress management
  • addictions and mental health
  • anger management

Contact your nearest centre to find out more about their programme.

Andover wellbeing centre
Basingstoke wellbeing centre
Eastleigh wellbeing centre
Fareham and Gosport wellbeing centre
Hart and Rushmoor wellbeing centre
Havant and East Hants wellbeing centres
New Forest wellbeing centres
Romsey wellbeing centre
Winchester wellbeing centre

Community Mental Health teams

Social Care Mental Health Teams work together with the Health Service's Community Mental Health Teams and deal with people's social care needs alongside their health needs. They help people in the community, whether they have just become ill, have a short-term illness, or need on-going support.

Advice for older people

Contact your GP if you are you concerned about:

  • mood swings
  • agitation
  • memory loss or confusion
  • withdrawal

You can also contact the NHS 111 service which is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can speak to a trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. They will ask you questions to assess your symptoms and direct you to the best medical care.

You may find it useful to read about dementia and the signs that could be early symptoms of dementia. Spotting the signs of dementia early means you can get the right treatment and support as soon as possible. 

The Message in a Bottle service encourages people living on their own to keep their basic personal and medical details in a small plastic bottle in the fridge. If the emergency services come to your home, they can quickly find vital information about your health. Bottles are funded by local Lions Clubs and are free to users. Ask your local GP surgery or pharmacy for details.

Last reviewed: 21/04/2016

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Mental Health

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.


Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither Hampshire County Council nor PCG Limited will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and of any inaccuracy or error within these pages. Read full disclaimer.

Connect to Support Hampshire allows you to search for products and services provided by suppliers so that you can find out what support is available. Please let us know if any information found on these pages is inaccurate by using the Feedback button.

Hampshire County Council is not accrediting or recommending any of the products, companies or organisations listed on this website.


Close window
Fill out my online form.


Add my service