Need help?

Please review and correct the information below.

Moving and handling

Back care for carers

Without the right support, carers may be prone to back injuries and back pain, especially if they are caring for someone who needs moving on a regular basis. Older carers are particularly vulnerable.
Your doctor can give you help and advice if your own health is suffering as a result of looking after someone else.
BackCare, the charity for healthier backs, provides information about the causes, treatment and management of back pain. They publish a ‘Carers guide to safer moving and handling of people’.

Further support

Ask your doctor for advice about lifting and for relevant training. Your doctor may also arrange for an assessment of the mobility needs of the person you are caring for and provide appropriate mobility aids.
If this does not resolve the difficulties, then an Occupational Therapist could carry out a moving and handling assessment at the person’s home.

Information and advice

Information and advice about equipment and adaptations to help with daily tasks and activities.
Living Made Easy provides practical advice about equipment for moving and handling

Help from Hampshire County Council

If the situation is urgent, or anyone is in immediate need or at risk of injury, then contact Hampshire County Council’s Occupational Therapy Team for an urgent moving and handling assessment.

Last reviewed: 21/04/2016

Useful links


Living Made Easy

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Moving and handling

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.


Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither Hampshire County Council nor PCG Limited will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and of any inaccuracy or error within these pages. Read full disclaimer.

Connect to Support Hampshire allows you to search for products and services provided by suppliers so that you can find out what support is available. Please let us know if any information found on these pages is inaccurate by using the Feedback button.

Hampshire County Council is not accrediting or recommending any of the products, companies or organisations listed on this website.


Close window
Fill out my online form.


Add my service