Need help?

Please review and correct the information below.

Financial support for carers

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is paid to people who look after someone with substantial caring needs. You do not have to be related to, or live with the person you care for and you may qualify if:

• you are aged 16 or over
• you spend at least 35 hours looking after someone who gets Attendance Allowance or the middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance

For more information see the Carer's Allowance page on the GOV.UK web site.

Carer's Allowance Unit
Phone 0345 608 4321

Carer's Credit

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record. Your State Pension is based on your National Insurance record. To qualify for Carer's Credit you must be looking after one or more people for a total of at least 20 hours per week.

Each person you care for must get one of the following:

• Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
• Attendance Allowance
• Constant Attendance Allowance
• Personal Independence Payment - daily living component, at the standard or enhanced rate
• Armed Forces Independence Payment

Financial help for the person you are looking after

See also our Benefits page to make sure that the person you are caring for is receiving all the benefits and discounts that they are entitled to.

Information and advice

Carers UK and Turn2us offer help and advice on a range of financial issues affecting Carers.

Last reviewed: 21/04/2016

Useful links

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Financial support for carers

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.


Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither Hampshire County Council nor PCG Limited will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and of any inaccuracy or error within these pages. Read full disclaimer.

Connect to Support Hampshire allows you to search for products and services provided by suppliers so that you can find out what support is available. Please let us know if any information found on these pages is inaccurate by using the Feedback button.

Hampshire County Council is not accrediting or recommending any of the products, companies or organisations listed on this website.


Close window
Fill out my online form.


Add my service