Advice support and local welfare assistance
Please review and correct the information below.

CORONAVIRUS Please note that some organisations listed in this page may be operating changed services due to the current situation. Please contact the organisation directly or check their website for latest updates.

Advice, support and local welfare assistance

Information and advice

  • For help and advice on a range of issues, visit or telephone the Citizens Advice national phone service on 03444 111 444.

    Emergency food

    If you can't afford to buy enough food, you may be able to get some short-term help from your local food bank.
    You will need a voucher to use a food bank. To find out where you can get a voucher, contact your local food bank or phone the Citizens Advice national phone service on 03444 111 444.

    Local food banks:

    The Smart Living website has tips and ideas for making the most of the food you have and avoiding waste.


    Get Help with tax from GOV.UK
    Tax Help for Older People is a service from the charity Tax Volunteers providing free, independent and expert help and advice for older people on lower incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional tax advice.

    Debt and money

    The organisations below offer free, impartial advice on debt and budgeting:

    Short-term grants and advances

    The Department for Work and Pensions provides grants and short-term advances for people who already claim benefits, such as:

    You can check you are receiving the right benefits:

    Fuel hardship

      Free school meals

      Eligibility for free school meals depends on the circumstances of the parents or carers.

      Find out more from:

      Hampshire County Council
      Portsmouth City Council
      Southampton City Council

      Housing advice

      If you are having problems paying your rent, talk to your landlord as soon as possible. 

      Keeping your home warm

      If you claim benefits, you may be able to claim discounts or grants to help heat your home.
      More about keeping warm in winter.


      Use the internet to search for reuse organisations that may sell secondhand furniture and appliances.
      Here are some websites or organisations you could try:

      Gumtree - for secondhand furniture and appliances for sale.
      Emmaus Hampshire is a social enterprise which helps people out of homelessness.
      The Community Furniture Project in Basingstoke sells a wide range of used furniture.
      The Furniture Helpline in Alton provides affordable household goods, household furniture and white-goods at very low prices to those with a need.
      Jacob's Well Care Centre aims to provide furniture to those in need in the Gosport area.

      Charity shops, such as the British Heart Foundation,are also a good place to start if you want to buy secondhand goods for the home at affordable prices.
      Some household waste recycling centres have sections where you can buy secondhand furniture.

      Financial help from charities

      Some charities provide financial help such as subsidised care in a care home, or help with care fees as well as crisis grants. Often these charities are concerned with particular groups such as nurses or ex-service people.
      Further information:

      Useful links

      Citizens Advice


      Close window
      Fill out my online form.


      Report this page

      Close window

      You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

      Page Reference: Advice support and local welfare assistance

      However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

      Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
      Helpdesk Icon

      Need help?

      Close window

      If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
      0333 600 6330 or email

      If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
      Find out who your council is here.