Please review and correct the information below.

Arrange a break from caring

Emergency help

Carers often worry about what will happen if, at short notice, they are unable to care.
The Princess Royal Trust for Carers in Hampshire will help you to discuss, develop and implement your own emergency plan so that you can arrange care at short notice.
Once your Emergency Plan has been completed and signed it is backed up by:

  • a 24-hour telephone line 0800 169 1577
  • information about other services available
  • and up to 48 hours of care services free of charge in the event of an emergency
Carer’s emergency card

This card, which includes emergency contact numbers, should be carried in your bag or wallet. In the event of an accident, this would help alert police officers, the ambulance service or other emergency response staff to the fact that there is also someone else in need of help.
Complete and print a copy of the carer's emergency card now.

Finding help yourself

There are many organisations that offer short break services that will allow you to have time to yourself, even if it's just for an hour or so. Or you could ask friends and family to help.

Good neighbour groups

The Good Neighbours Support Service provides information, guidance, development and support to over 100 independent voluntary groups in Hampshire, enabling them to provide a dependable and trustworthy service. The groups offer neighbourly help to people in their local communities, enabling people to stay independent in their own homes and helping to prevent isolation. Some good neighbour groups may be able to help in an emergency.

Friends and family

Ask if friends and family can help you.

Respite breaks and Day Care

Care at home

If you need a short break during the day, use our care at home search to find providers who offer a ‘sitting service’. You can also search for live-in help to allow you to go away (overnight or for a longer break or holiday).

Local care homes

Many care homes offer short stay care if you need a break. Use our care homes search and select ‘Short stay (respite) under admissions.

You can also search for care homes which offer day care for non-residents (this might be informal day care, joining in with the daily activities of the residents, or formal, organised day care services)..

Day opportunities

You can look for organisations offering day care or day time activities in our Community directory.


If the person you look after needs special care whilst on holiday, due to disability or other conditions, there are specialist care holiday organisations. For information, visit our holidays page.

Help from Adult Services

The Take a Break service can only be accessed via Adult Services through a carer's assessment and is provided, under contract, by a range of providers throughout Hampshire

Last reviewed: 21/04/2016

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Arrange a break from caring

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.


Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither Hampshire County Council nor PCG Limited will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and of any inaccuracy or error within these pages. Read full disclaimer.

Connect to Support Hampshire allows you to search for products and services provided by suppliers so that you can find out what support is available. Please let us know if any information found on these pages is inaccurate by using the Feedback button.

Hampshire County Council is not accrediting or recommending any of the products, companies or organisations listed on this website.


Close window
Fill out my online form.


Add my service