Coronavirus Resource Page

Government information

    To keep you up to date, the UK Government has launched a Coronavirus Information Service on WhatsApp.

    NHS information (symptoms, testing )


        Who to contact for community help in Hampshire

        Hampshire County Council has a helpline for residents who need support or advice.

        Portsmouth City Council helpline and advice

        Southampton City Council helpline and advice

        Need help from an NHS volunteer responder? If you are vulnerable or at risk, are currently not supported and need some help with shopping, a prescription collection or a friendly chat, you can request help from an NHS responder by calling 0808 196 3646.

        Councils of Voluntary Services (CVS) in Hampshire are leading in the co-ordination of the county's community volunteering response. You can contact them if you need support at this time. They are also actively seeking volunteers.

        District and Borough Councils

        You can also search for a local group on the national Covid-19 Mutual Aid UK website.

        Armed Forces and Veterans

        Help for older people and those who are self-isolating

        Hampshire County Council has a helpline for residents who need help or advice.

        Portsmouth City Council helpline and advice

        Southampton City Council helpline and advice

        Financial support if you have to self-isolate

        The £500 Test and Trace Support Payment is for people on low incomes who have to self-isolate due to coronavirus (COVID-19). You may be eligible if you are employed or self-employed, cannot work from home, and will lose income as a result. You can only apply if you’ve been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, notified to self-isolate by the NHS COVID-19 app, or you’re the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate.

        Shopping / prescription collection:


          • If you are finding it difficult to prepare a hot meal for yourself, you could use a meals delivery service.

          • Many pubs, restaurants and other food outlets which are closed at this time are now offering food delivery services. Try calling your nearest one or checking their website or facebook page for details.

          Telephone befriending services:

          Many local groups and organisations are also now offering befriending and wellbeing telephone calls. See "Who to contact for help in Hampshire", above, for contact details of your local CVS who should be able to refer you to an appropriate service.

          Online chat forums:

          Staying well:

          Looking after your health is even more important during this current pandemic. It is important that you still access health services when you need to. More information about using the NHS and other health services during coronavirus

          At the same time, there are some simple things you can do to avoid preventable hospital admission. Exercising, eating well, staying hydrated and removing trip hazards around your home will help you to protect yourself and the NHS.

            Money worries

            Financial support if you are self-isolating

            You may be eligible for the Government's £500 Test and Trace Support Payment.

            Debt and financial hardship advice

            • If you’re experiencing financial difficulty as a result of reduced income due to Coronavirus, you can access information and support via:

                    - Citizens Advice 
                    - National Debtline
                    - Money Advice Service
                    - Business Debtline - debt help for the self-employed and small businesses
            Christians Against Poverty - debt counselling for anyone, regardless of faith.
                    - Central Government advice 
                    - DWP Benefits information
                    - DWP Benefits information in BSL

            • Breathing space is a new government scheme which is designed to give you time to receive debt advice and find a solution to sort out your debt problems. Eligibility criteria apply.


            Food hardship

            Fuel hardship

            Work and financial support

            Mental health and debt

            • Mind has practical tips on managing your money and improving your mental health
            • Money Savings Expert, supported by Mind, Rethink, CAPUK and others, have developed a guide - Mental Health and Debt - for people with mental health problems and those caring for them.
            • Mental Health and Money Advice has practical advice and support for people experiencing issues with mental health and money.
            • If you are receiving mental health crisis treatment and struggling with problem debt, the Mental Health Crisis Breathing Space scheme has been set up to create time and space for you to get the treatment you need, without having to worry about your debts growing or your creditors contacting you during your treatment. (Hampshire County Council residents can submit a referral form here).

            Further information

            Find more information about advice, support and local welfare assistance

            Mental health and wellbeing

            Looking after your mental health is more important than ever at this time. We have put together a list of local and national information to support your mental health. There is a range of options and you can find the best one for you.

            There are also specialist services in some areas of the county:

            • Southampton adults experiencing a mental health crisis or emotional distress can text LIGHTHOUSE and their postcode to 07451 276010 between 4.30pm and 12.00am to access The Lighthouse service.

            • Aldershot Safe Haven is open as a drop-in service for those who are in crisis. 6pm - 11pm, Monday to Friday and 12.30pm - 11pm, weekends and bank holidays. They are also operating a 'Virtual Safe Haven' between 6pm and 11pm.
            • Havant’s Adults Safe Haven offers support in south eastern Hampshire. Call 07887 417255 Monday to Friday, 6.30pm-10.30pm and weekends/Bank Holidays 1.00pm-10.30pm.

            Looking after your body is important for your mental wellbeing:

            • Our physical health and mental health go hand in hand. Good mental health supports good physical health and vice versa. Discover more about local opportunities and services to support your physical health. Remember to take up any vaccination offers and screening programmes (such as bowel, breast and cervical cancer).

              Helping someone get online

                        If someone you know (perhaps an elderly relative, friend or neighbour) does not already use the internet, now is the perfect time to help them get online or to become more confident. The internet has many benefits for older people, from increasing their independence to helping with their physical and mental health.

                        If they have access to a device, there are a lot of resources which you can use to help them:

                        Find more computer help in our community directory.

                        Hampshire Superfast Broadband - If your property is not included in the current superfast broadband programme and you can only access a speed of 2Mbps or less, there is a government scheme in place to help you access better broadband.

                        Help with banking

                          The major banks, as well as the Post Office, are developing ways to assist customers with their banking needs, managing money and accessing cash at this time.

                          • You can now access your high street bank account to withdraw money and pay in cash or cheques at any Post Office. You may also be able to arrange for a friend to collect cash for you from a Post Office through their Payout Now or Fast PACE schemes. You will need to contact your bank to see if they are part of the schemes.
                          • Lloyds- have online advice. If you are vulnerable and over 70, you can call a priority helpline 0800 056 0045. 
                          • NatWest have online support and a telephone line for the over 60s and those in an extended period of self isolation - 0800 051 4176.
                          • RBS - have online support and a dedicated telephone line for over 60s and those in an extended period of self isolation - 0800 051 4177
                          • Santander have online help. If you’re having problems getting to your money because of coronavirus (for example you can’t leave the house), you can call a dedicated helpline - 0800 015 6382.
                          • Halifax are offering online support. If your enquiry is urgent and you are in a vulnerable situation, call 03457 20 30 40.
                          • HSBC have online information. They request that you only telephone if it is urgent - 03457 404 404
                          • TSB offer online services. They are requesting that customers only telephone if urgent - 03459 758 758.
                          • Bank of Scotland offer online services. They are requesting that customers only call if urgent - 0345 721 3141.

                          Carers (unpaid carers looking after someone)

                          • See 'Who to contact for community help in Hampshire' if you or the person you are caring for are self-isolating and you need support.

                          Learning disabilities and Autism

                          Our Autism and Learning disabilities pages have information and advice as well as signposting to local and national support services.

                          Long term health conditions

                            Hampshire County Council have launched a helpline for frail and vulnerable residents who are in urgent need of practical assistance. 

                            Information to help you self-manage at home:



                            COPD/ Emphysema/ Bronchitis

                            Cystic Fibrosis




                             Kidney Disease

                            Liver disease

                            Muscular Dystrophy

                               Neurological disease

                              Sickle Cell

                              Staying active

                              Apps library

                              Recovering from Covid / Long Covid

                              • The NHS have set up the Your Covid Recovery website which provides advice to support anyone recovering from Covid-19, as well as information for friends, family and carers. 

                              • Some people who have tested positive for COVID-19 go on to experience ‘Long COVID’, which means they are unable to shake off the effects of the virus months after initially falling ill.

                                Symptoms can be wide-ranging and fluctuating, including breathlessness, chronic fatigue, ‘brain fog’, anxiety and stress.

                                The NHS has established nationwide sites to help combat Long COVID.

                                The service offers:

                                • Physical, functional, cognitive and psychological assessments to improve health outcomes and quality of life
                                • Support to access post-COVID syndrome services
                                • Face-to-face, virtual or clinical app-based interventions
                                • Once assessed, a health professional will work with the local multiple disciplinary team to develop an appropriate management plan based on individual need

                                Contact your GP if you think you have Long COVID. They can refer you to the NHS Long COVID service.

                              Domestic abuse

                                Hampshire's Domestic Abuse Service is continuing to provide help to people experiencing domestic abuse via phone, email and online. The telephone helpline can be accessed on 03300 165 112 and will be staffed from 11.30am to 2.30pm Monday to Friday. A face to face support option is not available during this time but access to refuge, for those with urgent needs, will still be available 24/7.

                                The Government has issued guidance on domestic abuse: Coronavirus (COVID-19) and domestic abuse. This contains links to national helplines and resources.

                                Anyone in immediate danger is urged to call 999 and ask for the police, who are continuing to respond to emergency calls.

                                If speaking may put you in danger, call 999 from a mobile. 
                                If prompted, press 55 to Make Yourself Heard and this will transfer your call to the police. Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and does not allow police to track your location. 

                                See further information on our Domestic abuse page.

                                Drugs and alcohol

                                  If you need support at this time for issues relating to drugs or alcohol, information and advice along with links to services and support can be found on our Health and Wellbeing Advice page. 

                                  Scams, false information and protecting adults at risk

                                    • Some supermarkets have launched volunteer shopping cards which means that you do not have to hand over money. See information under 'Resources for older people and those who are self-isolating.
                                      • Citizens Advice (CitA) has launched advice on coronavirus scams, including a scam checker.
                                      • Please use trusted sources of information only. Full Fact, the independent fact-checking charity, has a fact check page on covid-19 with information on scams and fake news.



                                              Utility companies and household emergencies

                                              Household emergencies:

                                              Household emergencies – who to call:

                                              • National Power Cut Helpline Call 105 from a landline or mobile
                                              • Gas emergencies 0800 111 999
                                              • Southern Water Emergency Line 0330 303 0368
                                              • South East Water Emergency Line 0333 000 0002
                                              • Portsmouth Water Emergency Line 023 9247 7999
                                              • Sembcorp Bournemouth Water Emergency Line 01202 590059
                                              • Electricity – call Consumer Direct for a local electrical contractor 03454 04 05 06
                                              • FLOODLINE 0345 988 1188. Phone the Environment Agency’s floodline to sign up for flood warnings and get simple advice on what to do before, during and after a flood.


                                                If you are considering volunteering, please see advice from the Government on ways to volunteer  and how to support safe and effective volunteering.

                                                Anyone whose volunteering role brings them into contact with potentially vulnerable people may find it useful to complete our free 'Trigger Tool' e-Learning.  This will help you to recognise possible signs or situations which may trigger a concern around someone’s safety, independence or physical / mental wellbeing and provide information and guidance on what support is available.

                                                Boredom busting resources 

                                                You can download audio books and e books FOR FREE from Hampshire libraries

                                                Project Gutenberg have created a free e-book library of 60,000 classic books.

                                                You can improve your skills by accessing free, high quality digital and numeracy courses via The Skills Toolkit.

                                                There are numerous free online events taking place - from concerts and comedy gigs to exercise and dance classes and even virtual pub nights where you can join in and chat. Use your search engine to find one which suits your interests or keep an eye on social media.

                                                Finally, we like this resource page of boredom busting resources to keep you entertained and educated!